Ezra T. Benson’s House, 1850s

Described in John Hyde, Jun., Mormonism: Its Leaders and Designs, New York: W. P. Fetridge & Company, 1857, pp. 33–34  

[p.33]

“Here we are at the Temple Block, in the center of the city. We have come up a street full of stores. There are some very excellent business premises here, and enormous stocks of merchandise are yearly imported across the plains, [p.34] in huge ox-drawn wagons. The merchants make money very rapidly, profits on some articles amounting from 150 to 600 per cent. We remark that all the stores, etc., are built of adobe’, sun-dried bricks; and from their slate-white color, make the streets very lively in appearance. On these streets there are some good houses. A very pretty house on the east side, was occupied by the late J. M. Grant and his five wives. A large barrack-like house on the corner, is teneted by Ezra T. Benson and his four ladies. A large but mean-looking house to the west, was inhabited by the late Parley P. Pratt and his nine wives. In that long, dirty row of single rooms, half-hidden by a very beautiful orchard and garden, lived Dr. Richard and his eleven wives. Wilford Woodruff and five wives resided in another large house still further west. O. Pratt and some four or five wives occupy an adjacent building. All these are “Apostles;” they are well known among the people, and their names are inseparable from Mormon history. ”

[Hyde says Brigham Young’s houses cost $30,000 and $65,000]