Ezra T. Benson (1811–1869)
Biographies and Autobiographical Writings
Note: We hope to add items to this list and eventually provide transcripts for each. If you have histories to contribute, or if you can help with transcribing or clearing copyrights, please contact Benson Parkinson, webmaster, at "feedback at bensonfamily.org" (replace "at" with "@").
Back to Ezra T. Benson Histories Page
- Ezra T. Benson, “Brief History of Ezra T. Benson,” in Manuscript History of the Church, Historical Department Archives, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 16 (16 Jul. 1846), 55–82; included in Selected Collections form the Archives of The Churc of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, ed. Richard E. Turley Jr. (DVD, Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 2002), vol. 2 disc 2. This transcript comes from the published version in Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801–1844, ed. Elden J. Watson (1971), 244–60. Another version can be found in Journal History, Historical Department Library, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 16 Jul. 1846, pp. 5–22. Covers his life until his call to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
- Ezra T. Benson, “Autobiography of Ezra T. Benson,” Instructor, February–May 1945. Same as above, with many small differences in wording and dates, based probably on the Journal History version. Transcript from the Book of Abraham Project (also available in GospelLink).
- Ezra T. Benson, Journal of Ezra T. Benson, 1857, in Historical Department Archives, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, MS 1531. Daily entries from 7 Apr.–2 Nov. 1857, the end of his mission.
- (Forthcoming) Benson Y. Parkinson, Ezra T. Benson (1811–1869), a new book by the webmaster of this site. This will include the basic story and many new materials from Ezra’s own letters and journals and other published and unpublished sources. Should be finished toward the end of 2004 or so.
- John Henry Evans, “Ezra Taft Benson,” Instructor, June 1945–February 1946. This series of articles continues on the Instructor’s reprinting of the autobiography from February–May 1945. A warm-up for Evans’s book (see below).
- John Henry Evans and Minnie Egan Anderson, Ezra T. Benson: Pioneer—Statesman—Saint, Deseret News Press, 1947, 376 pages.
- Donald Benson Alder and Elsie L. Alder, comp., The Benson Family: The Ancestory and Descendants of Ezra T. Benson, The Ezra T. Benson Genealogical Society, Inc., 1979, 398 pages. This includes histories of E.T. Benson, his wives, and many of his children; photos of many of these; and genealogical information.
- Andrew Jenson, “Benson, Ezra Taft,” in Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia (1901), 1:99. Some of the language comes from the Deseret News obituary (see below). Transcript from GospelLink 2001.
- ———, “History of Ezra Taft Benson,” 3 pages. Apparently a version of the LDS Biographical Encyclopedia article that has circulated in the family without an author listed. Transcript courtesy of Jared Parkinson.
- Orson F. Whitney, “Ezra Taft Benson,” in History of Utah, 4 vols. (Salt Lake City: George Q. Cannon & Sons Co., 1904), 4:42–44.
- “Sudden Death of Elder Ezra T. Benson, One of the Twelve Apostles,” Deseret News, Wed. 8 Sep. 1869; accounts of his death and funeral and a fairly lengthy overview of his life. Items from various writers, including an eyewitness account of his death, also a biographical sketch with language reminiscent of Jenson’s article. Transcript courtesy of Jared Parkinson.
- “Death of Elder Ezra T. Benson,” Salt Lake Daily Telegraph, 5 Sep. 1869; another fairly lengthy biographical note. Transcript courtesy of Jared Parkinson.
- “Decease of Elder Ezra T. Benson,” Millennial Star, 29 Sep. 1869, 31:40:642–46. Reprints items from Deseret News.
- Ezra T. Benson (1811–1869), excerpt from “George T. Benson,” in Progressive Men of Southern Idaho (Chicago: A. W. Bowen & Co., 1904), 690–91.
- Benson Y. Parkinson, “Ezra T. Benson (1811–1869): A Brief History,” 3 pages. Note: This is a work in progress. Family members are free to use this, but please contact me first to give me a chance to clean it up a little. I can be reached at "feedback at bensonfamily.org" (replace "at" with "@").
- Preston Nibley, “Ezra Taft Benson,” in Stalwarts of Mormonism, Deseret Book, 1954, 5–7.
- Gene Allred Sessions, “Ezra Taft Benson: A Heritage of Service,” in Latter-day Patriots: Nine Mormon Families and Their Revolutionary War Heritage Deseret Book in cooperation with the Historical Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1975, 65–83.
- Ellen A. Dupont, “Ezra T. Benson,” in Kate B. Carter, ed., Heart Throbs of the West, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1948, 3:294.
- “Ezra T. Benson,” in Kate B. Carter, ed., Our Pioneer Heritage, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1958, 2:493.
- Zetta Benson Peterson, Welcome to the Big Soft House, distributed during the Benson Family Reunion’s tour of E.T. Benson’s home in Logan, 2001, 6 pages.
- Eleanora Benson Allen, Life Sketch of Frank Andrus Benson, including details of growing up in E.T. and Adeline’s household; transcript courtesy of Ann Potter.